Monday 6 September 2010

Where to Backpack in America and on a Low Budget


I am a keen hiker and rambler together with writing articles on the subject. I love the great outdoors, the countryside and really great scenery. I also realise I am no "spring chicken" - heading toward my fifties – but not totally past it yet and still enjoy the odd hike.

However what really lights my candle is when I read about kids that have barely left high school but planning to backpack America. I suppose it is a important and difficult time in their lives where they are discovering what they want to do with their young lives. I would be proud if my kids wanted to do this around Europe or Backpack America. I think it is great that these young people are so adventurous and ambitious.

These young people (I like to call them young people rather than kids) come across 2 problems when they backpacker America. The first is money (no prizes for guessing this one) and the second is where to go. So I have been using a little experience and by surfing the internet I have been looking for answers to these all important issues and hopefully this will help when young people backpack America.

When you backpack America you are probably on a low budget. Therefore you will obviously need to stay in cheap accommodation. Hostels are the most likely and are all round and varied and more importantly cheap. So really it is not that difficult to find one at a reasonable price, at a fraction of the cost of a hotel. The other option is a tree under the stars which is completely free (although check out the safety risks first).

The buses services are quite good for travelling between locations. In particular the Greyhound is a good point to get prices especially booking a few weeks – say 2 to 3weeks in advance. For example can can find some really cheap rides from Los Angeles to San Francisco via a Chinatown bus for a relative cheap price when you backpack America.

Where are the good places to visit when you backpack America? Some suggestions for you:

1. The West side is good. This side of the country is good to Backpack America. Try and Start in Vancouver for example and get a bus down to San Francisco then via Yosemite National Park. Take a bus down to Los Angelos then through the red rocks - desert and onto the Grand Canyon. The Grand Canyon is not far from Las Vegas however take my advice and stay clear of Las Vegas unless you want to lose your money. In my view Las Vegas is a place for spending cash and is not a place to backpack America on a budget.

2. The other option I have seen is Florida. South Beach in Miami is a lovely place especially if you like to meet some famous people. It is also great in Tampa Bay and Orlando when you backpack America.

3. The other favourite is backpacking in South America. I would recommend that a good place to start is Quito (capital of Equator). From Quito travel the gringo trail (as the route through Central and South America is known). There are la number of places to visit and lots to view whether you are doing the Caribbean beaches in the North or trekking and hiking in the Patagonian wilderness in the South.

So where ever you go backpacking I take my hat off to the young kids that want to adventure and discover themselves. Have a super journey, do not lose your shirt in Las Vegas and return home safely when you backpack America.

No comments:

Post a Comment